Sunday, May 5, 2013

Another Rarity at a Tucson "Lake"

Yesterday I finally got one of my most sought after birds in Pima County.  It's another bird that I've seen many times in San Diego, but have always missed in Arizona because it's the most notorious one-day-wonder in the state, the Heermann's Gull.  Rarely has one stuck around for more than a day after being found.  It's a casual visitor in the state with most records from late fall.  UPDATE: No gull seen today, another one-day-wonder!

Heermann's Gull | Kennedy Lake | Found by John Higgins

Anyone care to guess what's to the left of that bush?

CERange Map for Heermann's Gull

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great find! Is the bird to the left of the bush a Caspian Tern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, I wish it was a Caspian Tern! I've yet to see one in AZ, I was thinking it 's a roadrunner but I could be wrong.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done!!! They are tricky! You seem to have quite the luck with gulls. I remember one time you found a Sabine's Gull and I went to look for it.....but alas, it was gone:) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete