Monday, July 16, 2012

Shoot Me Monday

One evening Gaby and I decided to check out Queen's Bath in Princeville, Kaua'i.  It's a natural, large tide pool carved into the lava shelf on the north shore.  Apparently it was a royal bathing place.

Queen's Bath
It was a steep path down to the water, a little difficult with flip-flops.  I almost didn't take my camera.  Thank goodness I did because as we were making our way down, there was a White-rumped Shama bathing in a pool of water (fitting right?).  It then perched on a branch and began to shake and preen its feathers.




White-rumped Shama
It was amazing to see!  Another non-birding couple even stopped to watch.  It didn't mind that we were relatively close to it.  A few days prior, I had played hide-and-seek with another White-rumped Shama and never got a decent photo.  This was the most memorable bird behavior I witnessed  on our trip.

Another great moment here was when we saw a couple sea turtles feeding on kelp at the edge of the water.  So cool!

Green Sea Turtle (Honu)
waterfall along Queen's Bath path
  

9 comments:

  1. Great shots, and gorgeous bird Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww so awesome! Sea turtles are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you. Lovely captures of this beautiful bird! Awesome Sea Turtle! I would love to see one in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see two awesome creatures in the same area.

      Delete
  4. Wooo! Nice work Jeremy! The Shama is a beauty.

    I was snorkeling off one of the Kaua'i beaches once while the tide was coming in. There were some green sea turtles (I think) feeding on the rocky shelf and the waves picked one up and it smashed into my face. MOst awesome broken nose ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a crazy story Laurence! I guess if you're going to get a broken nose, might as well be from one of the coolest animals on the planet.

      Delete
  5. Jeremy, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip and got to see some amazing birds! How different this is from AZ!

    ReplyDelete