Monday, March 5, 2012

Shoot Me Monday

Ring-billed Gulls are abundant and widespread across much of the U.S. and Mexico in winter.  But I've only seen them twice in my county in Southeast Arizona.  So I thought it was pretty cool that this one was posing for me on the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, AZ.  Yes, the London Bridge from England immortalized in the nursery rhyme in which it's falling down, falling down.  For those of you that don't know, it was purchased from the Brits in the late 60's.  The exterior granite blocks from the original bridge were numbered and transported to Arizona to construct the present bridge.   

Ring-billed Gull

The London Bridge of Arizona
Old swallow nests and uh...that 3 is backwards!

4 comments:

  1. What a neat shot of the gull on the London Bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a rather regal looking fellow. I wonder if he knows he's standing on quite the piece of history? Looks like it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful gull photo... but I am amazed at the bridge story! I had no clue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good find for you and great light on the gull Jeremy. I was especially interested in the photos and info on the bridge because it reminded me that one of my relatives was involved in the London Bridge project.

    ReplyDelete